What is web scraping?
Web scraping is the process of collecting data from websites in an automated way. Different types of data can be extracted, such as text, images, links, and complex data structures. It is often used to obtain large amounts of data from different websites and analyze it for valuable insights.
Just imagine having the ability to easily get all the information you need: emails, phone numbers, addresses…
Web scraping tools pull data from many websites – applications or databases – and present it to you in a human-readable form. The most common method is for them to be delivered directly to a spreadsheet, preferably in a CSV file.
Is web scraping legal?
Of course! This computer technique is completely legal and millions of companies around the world are using it right now as you read this.
In general, it is legal to extract data from social networks and PUBLIC websites as long as it is done responsibly and does not damage the functionality of the site. However, it is illegal to extract data from protected websites.
So… Web scraping itself is not illegal, but there are some legal considerations to keep in mind when using this technique. In this article, we talk about it. These requirements for the use of personal data collected through web scraping are set out in laws such as the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
So why do these techniques get such a bad rap? 🤔
Like everything in this life, tools can be used for both good and bad ends.
And you must have heard about cybercriminals who use web scraping illegally, for example, to obtain confidential information, to impersonate other people…
However, there are many legal and legitimate uses for web scraping, such as collecting data for research purposes or automating prospecting tasks.
How to Legally Mine Data
As we mentioned, in this article we talk about it.
But, bottom line…
- Make sure you don’t damage the website’s functionality, respect the site’s terms and conditions, comply with applicable privacy regulations, and use server-friendly tools so you don’t overload servers with excessive requests.
How to Make Money Doing Web Scraping
Once you’ve extracted data from websites or social media, there are many things you can do with it💸.
1. Lead generation: Web scraping can be an effective way to gather information from potential customers and segment those leads to reach the right audience with your business message.
2. Pricing Strategy Optimization: It allows you to collect pricing data from your competitors and use it to optimize your business’s pricing strategy.
3. Brand monitoring: Allows you to collect data from mentions of your brand online and use it to track your brand’s reputation.
4. Search Engine Optimization (SEO): Allows you to collect data about the content and structure of your competitors’ websites and use it to improve your SEO strategy.
5. Price Comparison: It allows you to collect price data from different websites and use it to compare prices, find the best deals, and thus save money.
6. Public Opinion Collection and Analysis: Allows you to collect data about people’s opinions online and use it to track public opinion on a particular topic or product.
7. Machine Learning Dataset Building: Allows you to collect large amounts of data from different websites and use it to train machine learning models. This can be especially useful in sentiment analysis, text classification, and other natural language processing applications.
8. Automated content creation: It allows you to collect data from different websites and use it to generate automated content quickly and efficiently.
9. Recruitment: Web scraping allows you to collect data from job sites and use it to find job opportunities that are right for you.
10. Competitor Research: It allows you to collect data on the content and structure of your competitors’ websites and use it to do a competitor analysis and find opportunities for your business.
11. Market Demand Identification: Allows you to collect data on online searches and purchases and use it to identify market demand and find business opportunities.
Best Web Scraping Tools for Lead Generation
Web scraping tools are an effective way to collect data from websites in an automated way. 🚀They are especially useful for lead generation, as they allow you to collect information from potential customers and then segment those leads to reach the right audience with your business message.
Here are some of the best web scraping tools for lead generation:
1. Octoparse: This tool mimics human behavior by extracting data from websites: whether it’s an online store or any other website, you can extract data such as: prices, real-time competitor data, texts, links, image URLs, HTML code… Yes, this can be your ecommerce webscraping tool!
2. MailerFind: is an automatic lead generation tool that collects public data (name, phone number, website, location…) of the followers of any Instagram account. It can be a page that publishes content in your niche, that of a competitor, an influencer… In this way, you can build your own list of qualified leads from filters that represent your buyer persona (the ideal customer of your business), being able to segment by: level of engagement, location, interests, etc.
4. ScrapeStorm: is an advanced web scraping tool that offers a wide variety of functionalities and integrations with other marketing and data analytics tools. Automatically identify: forms, links, images, prices, phone numbers, etc. All you have to do is enter the URLs!
5. ParseHub – is an advanced web scraping tool that allows you to extract data from dynamic websites. It offers an easy-to-use interface and a wide variety of functionalities, such as the ability to schedule tasks and receive email alerts when a task is completed.
In conclusion, here web scraping hallucinates us and is a very effective technique. And yes… When it comes to web scraping tools, there are many options available, each with its own features and functionalities.
Of course, it is very important that when choosing a tool of this type, you consider your level of experience but, above all, the specific needs of your business.
We hope you’ve learned something new, that’s all for today.
P.S. One tool that’s killing it is MailerFind! 💌Download the Chrome Extension to automatically find emails interested in what you’re selling. It is very simple to use. Here you have an instructional video.